Did you know?
Scicli is a southern Sicily's small town at the confluence of three "cave", the valleys of Modica, Santa Maria La Nova and San Bartolomeo, enlisted in the UNESCO World Heritage list as a "late Baroque town of the Val di Noto". It was first inhabited by Sicels, hence its name, followed by Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans and experienced great prosperity under the Arab, Norman and Aragonese rules. It was destroyed by the devastating 1693 earthquake and subsequently rebuilt with magnificent baroque churches and palaces.
More About Scicli
Remains of the ancient town destroyed by the earthquake, such as the castle's ruins and the imposing façade of the medieval basilica of San Matteo, overlook the town.
Sicilian baroque palaces and magnificent churches grace the historic center. Baroque corbels and carvings decorate Palazzo Beneventano, Palazzo Fava, Palazzo Spadaro, the Town Hall and other seventeenth century buildings along the main street.
The eighteenth century three naves Church of San Guglielmo, formerly dedicated to Sant'Ignazio di Loyola houses the co-patron saints' chapels, dedicated to the Madonna delle Milizie, the warrior virgin depicted riding on a white horse, and to San Guglielmo, whose feast is celebrated two weeks after Easter with a procession of its precious reliquary.
On the last week of May the Madonna delle Milizie is celebrated with a historical re-enactment of a 1091 battle between Norman and Saracen troops.
The Cavalcata di San Giuseppe is a spectacular horseback procession reminiscent of the Biblical story of the flight into Egypt, held on March 19th (or the Sunday that precedes or follows).